Go To Search
Click to Home


City Hall
P.O. Box 2315
480 East Ave. N.
Ketchum, ID  83340
Ph: 208.726.3841
Fax: 208.726.8234
History of Ketchum
Wagons in KetchumOverview
  • In 1880, the Town of Ketchum, named after David Ketchum, a trapper and guide, was one of the richest mining districts in the Northwest. By the early 1890's, the price of silver declined and the mining boom ended.
  • By 1890, a new industry appeared in Ketchum. Sheepmen from the south drove their herds through Ketchum to summer grazing in the Sawtooth, Boulder, and Pioneer mountains.
  • By 1920, Ketchum was the largest sheep / lamb shipping station in the U.S.
  • In 1935, the Union Pacific Railroad came to town attracting passengers to a destination ski resort called Sun Valley.
  • Gambling flourished during 1937 to 1947, then in 1954 gambling was totally banned.
  • In 1973, the Sawtooth Recreation Area opened its doors north of Ketchum, making Ketchum the gateway to the Sawtooths. Ketchum is now a year-round resort / recreation area.

The annual Wagon Days Parade held on Labor Day weekend featuring over 100 non-motorized entries, including the original Lewis Ore Wagons, is the town's annual celebration of its rich pioneer and mining heritage.

Learn more about the history of Ketchum by visiting the Ketchum-Sun Valley Historical Society Heritage and Ski Museum website.